BeautyMe Love Recipes

BeautyMe Love Recipes

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Classic Sponge Cake

I was amazed with this recipe when I watched the video demo from Delia Smith. I just need to simply add all the ingredients together and mix it well. I have also learnt that we should sieve the flour at a higher level in order to give the flour a good airing as it goes down. Really benefit from her coaching.

I decided to give it a try but making it into cupcakes instead of a large cake as in Delia's recipe. I have also added green tea powder and cocoa powder to create another 2 more flavours. The only thing to note is to fill the cupcake fillers 1/2 full,  otherwise it will rise alot and overflow.

I am submitting this post to "Cook like a Star" with this month featured chef Delia Smith, organised by Bake for Happy KidsPiece of Cake and Eat your heart out

Classic Sponge Cake recipe is listed on Very Good Recipes.


Recipe adapted from Delia Smith :
(with my modification in blue)

Ingredients

115g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
115g butter (softened)
100g sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp green tea powder - additional ingredient
1 tsp cocoa powder - additional ingredient

Directions

1.Preheat oven 180 deg C.
2.Sift flour and baking powder, lifting the sieve quite high to give the flour a good airing as it goes down. Then add all the other ingredients.
3.Now using an electric mixer, combine them for about 1 min until you have a creamy consistency.
4.Divide the batter into 3 portions. Scoop the plain batter into cup fillers till 1/2 full. 
5.Then add 1 tsp of green tea powder to the 2nd portion and cocoa powder to the 3rd portion. Scoop the batter into cup fillers till 1/2 full.
6.Baked at 180 deg C for 30mins or when toothpick comes out clean.

5 comments:

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Didn't know that we can incorporate more air into the flour by sifting it higher... thanks for sharing. Green tea and chocolate cupcakes sound good.

BeautyMe said...

Yes, this is really a good and simple recipe to bake sponge cake, all thanks to Delia Smith for her recipe.

I have added cocoa powder and green tea to get more variety of flavors and it turns out great!

Baby Sumo said...

Hello, thanks for joining our Delia Smith bloghop. A lot of Delia's recipes are really easy, and they yield delicious results. I have tried this classic sponge cake before in the past, and it's GREAT! Nice that you've added different flavurs and made them in cupcake sizes too:)

BeautyMe said...

Hi Baby Sumo,

Thanks and glad to hear from you. I am exploring all the different cupcakes in preparation for my son's birthday party and I really like the texture of this sponge cake recipe, the best & simple recipe I can find so far.

I am quite a newbie to food blog. I hope to make more friends and to get more guidance from all bloggers out there.

BeautyMe Love Recipes

Zoe said...

I started blogging mid 2010... Didn't know what to do at that time. All I did was just cook, bake and blog. Then, I knew a few blogging friends and started baking and cooking along...

Hope you will enjoy cooking with us. I didn't know Delia Smith until Yen told m about her. Delia's no-nonsense recipes are great and always fail-proof :D

Glad that you like her sponge cake recipe.

Zoe