BeautyMe Love Recipes

BeautyMe Love Recipes

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Kueh Pulut

I have tried this recipe many years ago (from a cookbook) and this is a perfect dessert to use up all my coconut milk. Quite an easy recipe but I have a few points that I would like to highlight. 

1) I steamed the glutinous rice in my rice cooker this round as different from previous where I put directly onto the square tray to steam (without pandan leaves). 
2) As I do not have blender to make pandan juice, I used pandan paste and it was perfectly nice for me.  
3) I used mixer for the top layer (felt faster that way and can mixed well).
4) There will be a layer of foam after mixing but not to worry as after steaming and cooling down, they will not be visible.
5) After cooled, I placed the cake in fridge before cutting as I preferred to eat it a little cold and also felt might help with neat cutting.
6) You can add more pandan paste or juice if you prefer darker green colour.

Hope the above helps you to make your Kueh Pulut! Enjoy :)

Ingredients

For the Rice Layer:
270g glutinous rice
240ml coconut milk (add 140ml water to 100ml thick coconut)
Few pandan leaves
Pinch of salt
Blue coloring (optional)

For the Top Layer:
2eggs
90g sugar
25g cornflour
1 tbsp plain flour
315ml thick coconut
1 tsp of pandan paste (you can use 1 tbsp pandan juice to your preference)

Directions

For Rice Layer: 
1. Soak rice in water for about 6 hrs or overnight.
2. Drain the water completely, mix in coconut milk and salt. Add in pandan leave and steam for 15 mins.
3. Grease a square tray or glassware (20 X 20). Pour the rice into the tray and compress the rice. Sprinkle a few drop of blue coloring (if preferred). 
4. Prepare steamer and steam rice for 10 mins.
For Top Layer:
5. Mix eggs and sugar for 5 mins. Then add cornflour, plain flour, coconut milk and pandan paste.
6. Strain the mixture to remove lumps.
7. Pour the mixture over the rice layer and steam for about 45 mins. Leave the cake to cool completely before cutting into pieces to serve. 

No comments: