BeautyMe Love Recipes

BeautyMe Love Recipes

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Kueh Lapis


Had always wanted to make this Kueh Lapis as my youngest daughter loves this very much. But due to the time consuming processes to steam each layer at a time, I was reluctant to do it until I found this simple step by step recipe from Kenneth Goh

After exploring this recipe, I managed to grasp some good tips when doing this Kueh Lapis.

1) I should add pandan leaves to the 500g water and boil it so the Kueh Lapis with have a fragrant pandan flavour.
2) I should ladle the equal amount of batter to each layer but I just estimated each layer of batter till I am not able to see the below layer.
3) I am not able to loosen out Kueh Lapis from my pan (after 2 hours) and so after going round the sides, I placed my hand beneath the base of the kueh to lift it up. Perhaps the correct way is to leave it in the chiller before attempting to take it out from the pan.
4) After releasing the Keuh lapis from the pan, I placed it on a tray and tried to cut with a greased knife but unfortunately it was so sticky and I am not able to get a nice smooth cut for every pieces. I would think the correct way is to place Keuh Lapis in the chiller for a few hours and it will be much easier to cut out nicely. 
  
Overall, it was a good try on this recipe :)

Ingredients  

(with my own modifications)

100g rice flour
350g tapioca flour
500g water (boil with Pandan leaves and leave to cool)
350g castor sugar
500ml of thick coconut milk (about 1 big packet)
Red food colouring

Directions

1. Put some water in the steamer and bring to boil.
2.Shift the tapioca and rice flours to a big bowl. Add in sugar. Stir well and make a well. Add in water and coconut milk. Use a balloon whisk to stir until well mixed and sugar are dissolved.
3. Lightly grease your preferred container and put the empty greased tin in the steamer. Let it steam for at least 5 minutes.
4. Open the lid of the steamer. Put 1-1.5 ladles of green/red flour solution in the tin. Steam for another 5 minutes. Repeat the procedure until all the green and red flour solution have finished. In the final layer, steam the whole cake for 15-20 minutes until the cake looks transparent. Rest for at least 1-2 hours before transferring for cutting.
5. Lightly grease a "sharp knife". Cut the cake in one knife. Do not saw the cake as the edge will not be smooth. 

No comments: