BeautyMe Love Recipes

BeautyMe Love Recipes

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Ang Ku Kueh (in Mooncake design)

As I had a packet of ground peanuts left in my cupboard, I decided to try making Ang Ku Kueh. Since Lantern Festival is round the corner, I had this crazy idea of making my Ang Ku Kueh using mooncake mould. It came out fantastic with the beautiful mooncake pattern and it tasted so nice with the sweet peanut fillings. My hubby and kids like these Mooncake Ang Ku Kueh as much as I do. 

* Sharing Notes:
1) I used mixer as I do not have blender.
2) I modified the dough to 20g & peanut filings to 15g which are nice amount for my moocake mould.
3) I added more water and oil to the dough as it was a little dry and I have some difficulty wrapping the peanut fillings in the dough. 
4) Do not steam for too long, steam 5mins and brush with oil and steam for another 5 mins. Extended steaming will cause the design to lose it visibility.

Recipe from Kenneth Goh with modifications

Ingredients

250g ground peanut
120g castor sugar
10g sesame seeds
15g cooking oil
2 tbsp plain flour
70g water

200g sweet potatoes (steamed and mashed)
20g caster sugar
50g cooking oil
200g glutinous rice flour
100g hot water (add a few drops of red colouring)

Cooking oil for brushing

Directions

1. In a large bowl, add grounded peanuts, castor sugar, sesame seeds, cooking oil, plain flour. Mix well. 
2. Add water gradually into 3 stages and use hand to mix until it form a firm dough.
3. Shape about 15g into balls and set aside.
4. Put mashed potatoes, sugar and cooking oil into mixer and mix well. 
5. Add in glutinuous rice flour and red hot water in 3 stages. Blend until well combined. Divide dough into 20g balls. 
6. Take a dough, flatten it and place in the centre with a peanut ball. Seal the edges, shape round and place onto mooncake mould. Press down firmly and dislodge it by knocking the mould on the table. Place on top of a piece of banana leaf.
7. Bring water in the steamer to boil. Once boiling, transfer the Ang Ku Kueh to the steamer. REDUCE THE HEAT TO LOW and steam for 5 mins.
8. After 5 minutes, open the cover, lightly wash the cake with some cooking oil (to prevent sticking) , and continue to steam the cake for another 5-7 minutes.

No comments: