BeautyMe Love Recipes

BeautyMe Love Recipes

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mini Mixed Fruits & Chocolate Chips Muffins


This past week was indeed a very busy week for me and I didn't got the chance to plan what to bake for the weekends. I have a quick look at some recipes in the blog and came across this recipe (from Happy Home Baking) which I could use up my mixed fruits and chocolate chips in my fridge. However, I decided to make some changes to the recipe. The recipe called for raisins but I replaced raisins with mixed fruits. I soaked them in hot water and drained dry so they will be soft in the cake. I added the mixed fruits only after I poured the liquid mixture to the dry mixture. I have also reduced the sugar further from original 150g to 100g as I felt the flavoured chocolate chips would be sweeter than dark chocolate. 

I have made 2 attempts in preparing the liquid mixture (for direction no. 5) as the first attempt, the mixture was lumpy and did not look right to me. In my 2nd attempt, I melted the butter and cool a little. Then I stirred in the sugar first, followed by adding the milk and stirring a little. Lastly, I added the egg and mixed it well. The consistent looked more convincing this round. 

The texture was soft and the sweetness was just right. The mixed fruits and chocolate chips compliment each other well in these muffins. Perhaps, the next time I will add my favourite walnuts to have a little crunch to the muffins.

Ingredients

250g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
80g chocolate chips
150g mixed fruits
1 egg (lightly beaten)
60g butter
175ml milk
100g sugar (reduced from 150g)

Directions

1. Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C.
2. Soaked mixed fruits in hot water for 20mins, drained and dry with kitchen towel, set aside.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan, over low heat, set aside to cool.
4. Sieve together flour, baking powder and baking soda into a mixing bowl.
5.Add chocolate chips and mix with a spatula. Make a well in the centre.
6. Add sugar to the melted butter and stir. Follow by adding milk and mix. Lastly add egg and mix until thoroughly combined.
7. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour and add mixed fruits. With the spatula, gently fold all the ingredients to form a wet batter. Just mix until the flour are incorporate into the batter. DO NOT Over mix.
8. Spoon batter into paper muffin cups. Bake for 20-25mins.
9. Let cool on a wire rack.

No comments: