BeautyMe Love Recipes

BeautyMe Love Recipes

Friday, January 27, 2017

Egg White Cakes



I was cracking my head what to do with my leftover egg whites from making all the pineapple tarts for CNY. (I still have alot even after making Almond crisps). When I came across Bake for Happy Kids's post on Very Moist Egg White Mocha Marbled Butter Cake, I was so elated that this was going to help me clear my balance egg whites. I decided to modify the recipe and came up with 4 different flavoured cakes. However, Pandan and Coffee cakes did not turn out nicely, probably because I over mixed the batter and there was a thick layer at the bottom but luckily the top can still be eaten. It was indeed a marathon with one cake after another in 1 day and I also had the opportunity to practice on my egg white folding method which I always had a problem with. I gave the Hershey Chocolate Cake to my neighbour and their feedback was good and I like the Orange Cake with it's soft and airy texture. Great to have this chance for experiments with all egg whites used up :)

With modifications :

Ingredients

180g butter
60g sugar (reduced from 70g)
1 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
175g plain flour
75g cornflour
180g evaporated milk

210g egg whites
70g sugar

Coffee Cake:
10g instant coffee dissolve with 4 tbps hot water

Pandan Cake:
2 tsp Pandan paste

Hershey Chocolate Cake:
10g Hershey Cocoa Powder dissolve with 4 tbsp hot water

Orange Cake:
180g Orange juice (replaced evaporated milk)
Orange Zest

Directions

1. With a mixer, beat butter, sugar, vanilla essence and salt till mixture is fluffy and combined.
2. Sift flour and corn flour together.
3. Add flour mixture and evaporated milk (for orange cake, replaced with orange juice) alternatively in 3 portions into the butter mixture until all are incorporated.
4. In a clean mixer, whisk egg white and add sugar gradually till stiff peaks, smooth and glossy form.
5. Add 1/3 egg white into the butter mixture using hand whisk to incorporate both mixtures (you can mix vigorously for the 1st batch of egg white but subsequent must be folded in with spatula very gently). Ensure that most of the white is not visible after folding.
6. For coffee cake : scoop a small portion of mixture in a bowl and add the coffee mixture.
For Hershey Chocolate cake : scoop a small portion of mixture in a bowl and add the chocolate mixture.
For Pandan Cake : Add pandan paste into the butter mixture
7. Pour plain batter and coffee or chocolate batter alternatively into baking pan. Use a knife to cut through the batter a few times to create swirling patterns.
8. Bake at 180 Deg C for 40 mins until golden brown. Allow the cake to sit in the oven for another 5 mins and ajar the oven door for another 5 mins before taking out. Remove the cake and let it cool completely before cutting.

No comments: