I have always liked Christmas Fruit Cake with lots & lots of mixed fruits and no rum in it. I found this recipe and thinking how I can modify it without rum and still taste nice and moist. Finally, after experimenting a few times, I managed to get the best Christmas Fruit Cake I always wanted.
I have modified the ingredients as follows:
1/2 tsp Mixed spice (replaced with Cinnamon)
100g Pitted prune (omitted)
2 tbsp Rum (replaced with 6 tbsp orange juice)
2 tbsp Rum compound (omitted)
Orange zest from one orange (omitted)
200g Plain flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
500g Mixed dried fruit
little hot water
4 tbsp Orange juice
|Nicely packed for my friends.|
5 tbsp Orange juice
1 tsp Vanilla extract
Directions1. In a large bowl, add mixed dried fruits together with a little hot water and 4 tbsp of orange juice and mix well, cover with cling wrap until next day.
2. Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy, slowly add in 5 tbsp orange juice and vanilla extract, mix well.
3. Add eggs, one at a time and scrape bowl.
4. Add 1/4 portion of flour to the mixed dried fruit. Slowly add 3/4 portion of flour mixture to butter mixture, mix well. Stop machine.
5. Pour in mixed dried fruit and chopped walnut, mix well with a rubber spatula then pour into cake tin. Bang tin on table once to settle the content.
6. Bake at preheated oven at 160 deg C for 1 1/2 hour. **After about 30-40 mins when the cake starts to turn brown, cover cake with foil loosely on top and continue baking.
7. Leave cake to cool before slicing.